Saturday, May 2, 2009

Pizza and Kale Salad


My theory in life is that food is most satisfying when meals are healthy and deserts are delectable. This means that I am constantly trying to cook with whole wheat when I make breakfast/lunch/dinner, but when I am searching for something sweet I go all out. It's my version of balance. However, since getting married I have consistently had trouble trying to find a whole wheat pizza crust that my husband will eat. Last night, I finally did thanks to a few modifications on an artisan bread recipe my dad found. SUPER easy. Combined with the perfect texture of a kale salad, inspired by my hometown's Moscow Food Coop, the meal was satisfying and delicious. Let me share what I learned.

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

3 1/2 cups warm water (approximately 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit)
1 1/2 tablespoons active yeast
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 1/2 cups all purpose whole wheat flour

Note: this is a no-knead recipe (hence the ease factor) and the dough can actually store in the refrigerator for over a week, allowing you to make it once but use it over several days.

To make the dough:
  1. In large mixing bowl (I used a Kitchenaid with a dough hook), combine yeast, warm water, and salt. Don't worry about getting the yeast to dissolve all the way.
  2. Add flour. Mix until combined. The dough should be wet.
  3. Leave the dough, covered but allowed to breath, to rest on the counter for at least 2 hours until it has had a chance to rise and fall.
  4. Place dough in refrigerator until you are ready to use it. Dough will be easier to work with if refrigerated.
To turn the dough into Pizza:
  1. Place pizza stone in the oven. Allow the oven to preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit with the stone inside.
  2. Take desired amount of dough and form into crust of desired thickness. Cover lightly in oil or spray with cooking spray. Lay to rest on a cornmeal-covered surface until the oven is preheated.
  3. Place dough on pizza stone and bake 5-7 minutes.
  4. Remove partially cooked dough from oven and cover with desired pizza toppings. Place back in oven and cook 5-10 minutes longer, or until done.

Kale Salad
*
exact measurements are not necessary

Dressing:

In a small bowl combine the following:

1/2 cup toasted sesame dressing (I used Kraft)
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup light mayonnaise

Whisk until combined.

Greens:

4 cups chopped fresh raw kale
2 cups chopped green cabbage
1/2 cup diced red onion
1 cup diced cucumber
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, or other nuts

Toss the salad with the dressing, and you should be left with an amazing, crunchy and unique salad. This salad would be a perfect dish to bring to a potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment